The quality and commitment of our 50+ staff has been the key to our success over the years, enabling us to effectively deliver key services to develop the social enterprise sector in Scotland.
Whatever your area of expertise, a job with CEIS will offer you an exciting opportunity to work for the largest support agency for social enterprises, individuals and organisations in the UK.
Post Title: Business Adviser
Accountable to: Operations Manager
Contract of Employment: Full time, permanent
Salary: £35- £40K
CEIS has an exciting opportunity for an experienced business adviser to join our social enterprise business development team. As well as general business advisory support for clients such as developing business plans and growth strategies, particular focus for this post is a knowledge and understanding of how a business operates commercially. Business and financial diagnostic skills are an essential element for this post and you will need good communication skills to engage clearly with a wide variety of individuals at all levels in social enterprises. As well as working with individual client organisations it is also likely you will be delivering courses in these topics.
You will have the opportunity to bring your experience to help shape the strategies of social enterprises in a wide range of market sectors such as childcare, health, and community regeneration. This post is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to join our experienced and successful social enterprise business development team and make a real contribution to the development of sustainable social businesses.
Established in 1984, the vision of Community Enterprise in Scotland (CEIS) is to make Scotland a better place to live and work with a more inclusive economy. To realise this CEIS engages with businesses and communities to build capacity and to address inequality. Our social enterprise support is internationally recognised and this work is complemented by business finance, employability services, event management, social research and asset based community development. Our clients include individuals seeking employment, businesses requiring support and public bodies interested in social change. Learn more at www.ceis.org.uk.
This post is based in our Enterprise and Communities Team which delivers specialist business support to enterprising third sector organisations. Social Enterprise is increasingly viewed as an important source of economic growth, a vital source of support for vulnerable communities and a critical path of the reform of public services in Scotland. CEIS’ Enterprise and Communities Team responds by providing tailored business development across the business disciplines to aspiring, emerging and growing social enterprises. With a growing emphasis on social enterprise nationally and locally, CEIS offers professional and tailored consultancy support, through a team of business advisors, to ensure third sector organisations grow as sustainable businesses.
CEIS Business Adviser
Main Duties and Tasks:
To deliver high quality business advice and support to enterprising third sector organisations across Scotland through:
- The assessment and diagnosis of business development needs within social enterprise organisations.
- The development of consultancy approaches to respond to business needs with an emphasis on enterprise and the commercialisation of the services delivered by social enterprises.
- Delivering general, and experience specific, business development services to the Boards and management of social enterprises.
- Developing business and growth strategies in conjunction with clients through one-to-one discussion and facilitation of development sessions with management teams and Boards.
- Participating in the design and delivery of training events in business related disciplines to develop the skills of clients to manage their business.
- The management of client engagements to achieve outputs within arrangements agreed with clients or specified in CEIS contracts.
- Establishing and developing client relationships through meetings and networking events
- Progressing projects to the quality standards agreed ensuring all documentation and feedback reporting is provided to assist project management.
- Maintaining and developing effective working relationships with client groups and providing regular updates on progress with clients and bringing forward recommendations to the Operations Manager for new approaches and tools which could improve effectiveness of support to clients.
- Identifying and progressing business development opportunities for CEIS
- Undertaking personal professional development to achieve and develop the range of support skills and delivery standards required by CEIS to meet its overall objectives.
- Undertake administrative and clerical support duties related to personal workload in order to share the routine tasks of the Team.
- Professional qualification in a business related environment.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in client-facing roles.
- Broad knowledge and experience of advising on business growth and sustainability.
- A specialism in one or more business discipline.
- Skills and experience to advise on wider business development disciplines including strategic and business planning and financial management.
- Strong analytical, negotiation, influencing and report writing skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Minimum of basic knowledge and understanding of the social enterprise sector in Scotland.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work to deadlines
Closing date is 24th April 2017 (midday) and interviews will take place on week commencing 1st May 2017.
Please click here to complete the application form for this vacancy, the instructions to submit once completed is included in the form.
CEIS are committed to Equal Opportunities in Employment and, as part of this policy, all applicants for employment are asked to complete the details requested in this form. Please submit it along with the application form.
Business Development Manager